I've always had difficulty setting in sleeves. They always seem to look a little unprofessional, a bit too rustic. So obviously I was a little nervous when I got around to doing them for the 7576 jacket. My main problem has always been there's a pucker, or a gather that's not evenly distributed, no matter how hard I try. This is the sleeve of the McCalls M5759 jacket I made, notice the problem?
I was told recently of another method to set sleeves in which is different to how pattern instructions and all my books said to do it, and I decided to give it a go for this jacket. I'm thinking the results are pretty good....
Do not sew the 2 gather lines as per pattern instructions. Instead, it's all about pinning to distribute all the ease evenly. First match up all markings and pin together - I had 4 markings for this jacket making 4 little sections. Next, working on one section at a time, find the middle of each fabric piece and pin mark it, then match the 2 pins together and pin the sleeve to jacket. Then do the same again and again until all ease is distributed. Then move onto the next section until all are done. Your pins should be close together, about 1/8 inch apart in areas with a lot of ease. This is what it'll look like once pinned:
You can then hand baste it all together and take out your pins, or like me whose hand basting isn't good enough, just sew the sleeve with all the pins in - obviously sewing really slowly so you can whip them out if the needle looks like it's going to hit. This is my sewn sleeve - I'm thinking is the cleanest one I've done, big smile! Compare it to the M5759 one above.