I'm interlining my Burda suit jacket with hair canvas following the guidance in my tailoring book. This book describes 3 methods - custom, machine and fusible. Originally I wanted to follow the machine method to speed up the process - I didn't want to get bored with endless mindless hand stitching - however some of the steps for machine method are a little light on detail. So now I'm doing a combination of methods to incorporate the custom method too.
First I worked on the undercollar. For this I used the machine method. I needed to cut the interfacing on the bias, and being a newbie to bias cutting, wasn't sure how to do it! So all I did was cut it on a 45 degree angle to the selvage using my mat grid lines as the guide.
When stitching interfacing onto the fabric, the machine method stitches will show through to the jacket fabric. It's only a problem if you put the collar up, but as I won't be I'm okay with this.
Then the collar needs to be wrapped around a tailors ham and steamed to set in the roll. Here I wasn't sure how long I needed to steam it for, and how I could tell if it was done enough, so I gave it a good blast for about 5 minutes. Now only time will tell I guess . Looks cute hey!
There was a fair bit of hand sewing to be done - yawn. However, strangely I actually found it really satisfying work! I learnt new stitches - catch stitch, padstitch and uneven permanent basting - and it was all kind of relaxing. Perhaps I drank too many camonile teas....
I steamed the lapel on the roll line as well to set it in.
For the back interfacing, I used the back pattern piece folded up to give a bit more support across my shoulders.
That's an awful lot for one day! This has so far been a really enjoyable project which was much needed after my last one.