Saturday 13 November 2010

Butterick B5249

For something nice and quick to make whilst pondering on my dress alterations, I chose skirt B in this Butterick pattern.

5249 cover

5249 view B

The material used was a polyester wool mix in a tiny checkered multi brown pattern.


I used my new toy - a Juki MO 644D over locker for the edging, pocket seams and waistband seam - I discovered that I could over lock the seam, then under stitch using the sewing machine, it was a very neat and compact finish. 

pic name

pic name

I made 2 small pattern alterations - I took the waistband down by 1.5 inches so that it sat more on my hips which I prefer, and I also lined the skirt.  All up, this took me about 8 hours, which for me is pretty good (I'm not the fastest sewer!).  I like the pocket pleat detail as it's something different for a work skirt, and also the edge finishes from my over locker was pretty satisfying too. 

pic name

Perfect for the office, and today I bought more of that fabric to make a matching jacket in this Burda pattern:

2 comments:

  1. I love your skirt , the detailing on the hip area is lovely and makes it different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a flattering skirt Helen. Was it as hard as it looks. You have a lot of patience- 8 hours is a long time, there is no way with these rug rats running around that I would get that much time without the pins flying everywhere.

    ReplyDelete